Vintage Flashcards.

For awhile now I have been slipping

(as if you can really do that with 2 little kids)

into thrift stores looking for one thing.

Any kind of vintage flashcards.

They seem to be the rage and I am just besotted with the vibe they give off. I would have loved to find some with FRENCH words on them, NOT American. (The French are so trendy.)

But anyways– beggers can`t be chosers and so I was just thrilled to find this AMERICAN words pack at dear little Share and Care for…

Drum roll.

TeN cEnTs!!!

I told G I`d try to pick up another shift at work to cover the cost, and went ahead bought them!

You don`t have to say nice things about them. You can say that it`s weird that I like them– I will know where you are coming from.

Some things you like so much– it`s okay with you if you`re the only one that likes it.

(Husbands are a good illustration of this.)

I`d much prefer you don`t like G as much as I do.

(I can`t HELP the diiiiirty windows– my husband is scraping the paint off the house all summer and it`s on my windows very badly. Bless my husband`s heart– it` s mess outside right now. )

Just had to say that– for Pride`s sake.

Whatcha think?

Turdy or purty?

___________________________

BEFORE:

I was also looking for this certain kind of mirror to makeover. And Behold, I found one exactly like what I wanted on main street right here in town last Saturday, during Antiques in the Alley. Now how often does that happen?

Paid $8 for her. Happily.

AFTER picture coming as soon as I can get it loaded here…

_______________________________

Another subject entirely, but check out the darlingness of these Scrabble pillows here. I tried to load a picture of them, but it wouldn`t let me.

Doing my coupon run tomorrow and shopping for school clothes for G (maybe sneak in a little something pretty for me), the next day is a fun sisters/mom day, and then, this weekend camping with our church. I am so excited!

Enjoy your week: from me.

Later tator,

Jenny

comments

1. Christy says:

My mom has a set of flashcards exactly like those! Super cute ways of putting them to use! I’ve been wanting to comment on your last several posts, and simply don’t have time. I shouldn’t be here now, but needed a break from Adobe, and stopped by for a minute of refreshment…. Hope your day tomorrow is happy.

2. tracey says:

Very, very cute Jenny! I love everything you did!!! And I too love vintage {French} flashcards! 🙂 They add such a great look in your home the way you creatively used them!!

Hugs ~

🙂 T

p.s. I would be so honored if you featured my little luncheon on your blog! Thanks so much for asking…you made my night 🙂 🙂

3. Shelly N says:

I *love* what you’ve done with the flashcards . . . so now I want some too! If you ever, ever, EVER come across a 2nd set that no one else [closer and more deserving] in your life wants, PLEASE remember me, and I too will take on an extra shift at work to cover the added financial burden!!

‘Slipping’ in and out of thrift stores with 2 children is the biggest lie? oxymoron? whatever . . . . how well I know. That’s why I hardly EVER do it. A coupon trip through Target in a big cart and wide open spaces is enough to make me old and grey right now, so I’ve been leaving the thrifting to others. PLUS, I’ve never been a very good ‘bargain hunter’ when it comes to scanning through piles of junk for treasures.

I have you in my ‘feed’ now, so I’m becoming addicted to your site. Your personality and writing style must be so completely different from mine . . . and you make me LAUGH.

Have a great rest-of-the-week. Sounds like fun.

4. Esther Glick says:

i’m liking ’em as well & was lucky in finding vintage ones. good display ideas! 🙂

5. jessica says:

I love flashcards. So much that I considered buying a new set to do stuff in the boys room with. Stupid of me. Since then I found some really fun ones to make your self with pictures online. I think I may do that instead. But please please please find moer like these and sell then to me. I will double your money and pay postage. Well, as long as they are 10 cents.

6. Kendra says:

I LIKE them a lot and I WANT some now too. Good for you for hitting thrift stores often with 2 lil’girls. I would love to do it more, but it takes effort with 2 lil’ girls who will not sit in a cart and run all around the store. Usually till I get my groc. it’s time to get home!

so cute!
    i just want to come walk thru your house and take it all in!!

8. Kathleen says:

I too, love flashcards – especially the French ones! They’re just so cool! Love what you did with yours!

~Kathleen

I got a kick out of your Turdy or Purdy? Never heard that one before.

And I think the flashcards are very cool. I esp. liked the “family” one and how you used it (them).

And no, I do not like Galen as much as you do. And I think all three of us are happy about that.

10. Rachel Helmuth says:

def. purdy. 😉 love the mirror too and can’t wait to see after pictures.

question. do you ever.run.out.of.inspiration??? or is a true ultra creative person never out of ideaa? you amaze me.

Rachel H.

11. Heather says:

Jenny – if you have found a way to ‘slip’ into stores with little kids then by all means, tell me how it’s done. When my kids and I enter, I feel like we RUMBLE in. 🙂

12. Ahhhhhhh! Love those!! So neat how you used just a letter here, and spelled out a word there. Just darling cute! Words and letters in decor are so cool to me right now. 🙂

And scraping the house… Oh, that almost makes me depressed. Because I KNOW what that’s like! And we didn’t even do nearly all of it ourselves – ended up hiring it out because it was just. too. much. So the painters hand-scraped the entire exterior of the house. I think it must be one of the worst jobs ever. BUT – it’s all for the end result, so yay yay yay! 🙂

13. Lori says:

You have no idea how talented you are with decorating. Or else when you see something on a blog or where ever your mind just goes wild with ideas. I love the way you used those flash cards-all new to me. Or if I saw it before, I didn’t know what they were :). Loving your blog.
    Be blessed, you are talented, and God knew that you’d see and enjoy beauty when He created you!

sometimes, i want to not like you….you are just.so.amazing. but thankfully, you have such a heart of gold, that i have to love you, even if you are so amazing! i came here because i want you give me some ideas- and YOU STOLE ONE OF THEM RIGHT OUT FROM UNDER ME! i came to ask you to point me in the direction of a cool way to decorate with a huge world map and flashcards in my boy’s room. so, in a VERY deflated tone of voice, i am still asking….do you have any ideas? last year i painted circles on the wall, and put the numbers 1-10 in them. i love it because they are so interested in numbers, etc because they see them all the time on their wall. so i want to go further with the map and flashcards, but i don’t want it to look like a preschool classroom.

lisa, i guffawed out loud. i did for real. i am not that “a” word– but i have to say any time you want to call me that you WILL make my day! (because no mom with a dirty house can hear that enough!)
      and for the record, you are the amazing one!
      ok, we`ll close down the mutual fan club.
      the room.
      here is a link that i looked and looked for–
      because i think it`s soooo what i am picturing for your boys.
      i would frame a huge map, tape the flashcards the whole way around the top of the room (kinda like a border), i would buy one of those huge letters at joann fabrics for like $8 (they are huge) and spray paint it a very glossy red. then prop it up somewhere unexpected…
      vintage-y toys keep it from looking “preschool”– games too.
      i`ll let you know if i think of more.
      the pillows on the bed i have a link to here are tooo cool!!
      GOOD LUCKY! jenny

15. Cindy Fox says:

again…. love your creativity and ideas. chuck was sitting here when i was reading and i told him right away when i read that you bought flashcards, “she’ll do something totally awesome with them too!” and you didn’t let me down! =) i’ll keep my eye out for them here, but thinking it might look more in the form of bangla characters – not cool! =) thanks for sharing your ideas though!!!